Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day



This is the last of the zinnias. We grow them in a half whiskey barrel on the deck of the treehouse. They are one of my favorite flowers, and enjoy their many colors. When we lived in FLA we had them in the front flower bed, and one of our favorite people had a small, just learning to walk littler people. He loved smelling the flowers, and always got to pick some for his mom. One day he turned around too fast and sat down, right in the middle of the bed. We spent the entire summer smiling at the perfect butt print in the middle of those zinnias. He's 13 now, and I'm sure he'd be mortified if he realized I was writing about him. I don't think his Mama will tell him.

We got out to vote, early this morning. The 3 of us were in line before 7. Since we live in such a rural community, we are talking a county of 25,000 and only 3 traffic lights, the polling places were less than busy. Ours had only 4 voting stations! It was said that more than 40% of our county had voted early, so the poll workers weren't quite sure what they were expecting. We were back home before 7:30. Our soon-to-be daughter (in-law) was finished before we were, so we all met back here to have coffee and some breakfast. It was kind of surreal, having all that extra time before we had to head off to work. It was nice to just hang out and watch the contents of the refrigerator get inhaled by a growing boy.

I hope you got out to vote. I'll leave you with my favorite quote from Benjamin Franklin

"Where Liberty Dwells, there is My Country."

Thank you to those who work so hard to ensure my liberty.

No comments: